Monday, December 14, 2009

Gearing up


So this week I am gearing up.  No, not for Christmas, don't be ridiculous! I don't go into overdrive on that until four days before the big day.  We've got plenty of time!  Nope, I'm gearing up for a week of meetings with schools.  I've been brainstorming with a few good friends (Nora, you're the best) and consulting with therapists and tutors.  And this week, I've got meetings for both Marta and Sbird regarding school and how to meet their needs.

When you have a kid, or two or three, who don't fit the regulation mold or requirements for regular standard issue schools, you have to plot and plan on how to make things work.  You have to consult brainstorm and pray to figure out solutions that are positive and scenarios that will support your kid's needs and how they can learn where they are at.  ADHD, school delays, language barriers...this is just a few of the hurdles.  And so, as a mom, you "put on your cape," strap on your armor, and you set up meetings.  You go prepared to be charming, persuasive, as well as firm and clear headed.  You brace for battle and hope for miracles.

And so I am.  I will be praying through this week, hoping for great solutions and brave hearts and minds, willing to try something new and different.  If you have a mind to pray, I'd appreciate prayers for this as well (if you remember in the midst of the festive preparations).  And while I hate to beg again for prayers, we have so often, I will.  Because I have some research to sift through, others to present to those in charge.  Because I will go to the mat for my kid(s).  I will beat the bushes for tutors and helpers and beat on principal's doors (nicely but firmly).  I will try to open some eyes to new possibilities, not only for my kids but to open a few doors that have been shut too long.


It would be a miracle but we need some new options after the new year.  And this week, I'm gonna see if we can't make some  headway into making one, or a few, of those become real.  And that would be the best Christmas present of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin