Friday, December 17, 2010

O Antiphons

The " O! Antiphons " are a strictly Advent tradition in the Church.
They are prayed during vespers in the liturgy of the hours.
They are prayed just before the Magnificat, one of the most beautiful prayers of thanksgiving that we have.
Anyhow, I love the O antiphons for their long rich tradition, because they pull me back into Advent each night, and for the art that is tied to them as well. As usual, I love the whole rich woven package. What can I say, it's a Catholic thing, I love it.

Here is an explanation of them, better than I could do:
The importance of “O Antiphons” is twofold: Each one highlights a title for the Messiah: O Sapientia (O Wisdom), O Adonai (O Lord), O Radix Jesse (O Root of Jesse), O Clavis David (O Key of David), O Oriens (O Rising Sun), O Rex Gentium (O King of the Nations), and O Emmanuel. Also, each one refers to the prophecy of Isaiah of the coming of the Messiah.


So, I'm putting up these antiphons each evening, just as a reminder to myself that we are waiting on the Messiah, and why.
Blessed Advent everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin